Remote (for now)
We specialize in providing evaluation and treatment for clients of all ages with executive function and/or social communication skill challenges, including social anxiety. In addition, we are available for traditional occupational therapies, educational tutoring, and parent education and support.
NOTE: We are not currently providing in-person assessments or coaching. We hope to be back in an office space by the Fall (at the latest!)
Individual and/or small group executive function skill coaching for kids, teens, and adults.
Each of our brains are different. Some brains are especially good at sports. Others are good at remembering or understanding numbers. Some are good at staying calm in tricky situations, while some others are good at keeping things neat and organized.
Executive functions are skills that emerge in young childhood, and develop at varying rates through young adulthood. They include: self-understanding or awareness of strengths and weaknesses, organizational skills, time management, emotional control, behavioral control, flexibility of mind, attention, concentration, memory, initiative, and persistence.
For children and adolescents
As children get older, they are expected to gain increased independence in their executive function skills. This can be challenging for everyone involved, and sometimes it makes sense to seek outside supports.
- What if you’re constantly getting in trouble for blurting out the answers in class?
- What if you do your homework every night? But then, you forget to turn it in?
- What if you procrastinate on projects or papers because you don’t know how to start? Or if, once you start them, you run out of time?
- What if you wish you had more friends, but it seems like you’re always making someone mad?
Teens grow into young adults, and young adults grow into actual grown-ups. Executive functions are essential for success.
- What if you have every intention of being on time for work, but somehow you lose track of time? Every. Time.
- What if you keep meaning to pay your rent, but then forget? Again.
- What if you sit at work, fidgeting and uncomfortable with the challenging task of sitting still all day long?
- What if you are paralyzed by the demands of planning and organizing your own life, let alone your families’?
Our coaching model starts with administration of our criterion reference tool(s) that assesses a client’s executive function skills in order to guide us in treatment. In planning treatment, we keep our eye on the “big picture”, and focus on the functional, real-life concerns that are impacting a client’s success (i.e. planning and writing a research paper, developing an organization system, cleaning out a backpack, keeping a calendar, etc). Our treatment does not stop when the clinical hour is over. Instead, we provide on-going coaching during the in between times so that we can ensure growth and carry over of skills.